Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tuesday After Kickball "Dinner" - Cobb-Like Salad



Last night was kickball, so we got home late after an embarrassing ass-kicking. Neither of us wanted to go to the store, so we raided the fridge. This one was a little harder than my other fridge-raiding meals because we haven't been grocery shopping in like, two weeks. So, we had some chicken breasts left over from the pizza and lettuce from the spring rolls. It was obvious, salad! And my favorite salad with chicken on top? Cobb salad! We didn't have any bleu cheese, but we definitely had goat cheese. A quick Google search brought up this recipe for Goat Cheese Salad Dressing. Luckily, I had everything except fresh parsley, so I just added dried parsley flakes instead. Also, instead of milk, I used buttermilk. I hard boiled a farm fresh egg from my friend Stephanie and cooked up some bacon for bacon bits. Super simple and really delicious. A great after kickball entree, not heavy and kind of healthy (if you want a healthy version, omit the bacon and use a light bleu cheese or ranch dressing instead of the goat cheese dressing). Yum and yum! I was pretty tired so I apologize, but I didn't take as many photos as I should have. You'll get the idea, though.

Cobb-Like Salad with Goat Cheese Salad Dressing:
1 grilled chicken breast
1 head butter lettuce
Handful cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 hardboiled egg
2 strips bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
Fresh chives, snipped
Goat cheese salad dressing, recipe follows

Goat Cheese Dressing (from Daily Unadventures in Cooking):
2 tablespoons soft plain goat cheese
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (if you are using bottled, substitute one extra tablespoon milk for 1 of lemon)
1 tablespoon milk (I used buttermilk)
a pinch cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (I used 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes)
salt and pepper

Mash goat cheese in a small bowl with a fork. Slowly add lemon juice and continue mixing to incorporate the liquid. Switch to a whisk and do the same with the milk and remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange lettuce on a plate, cover with half of the salad dressing. Top with chicken, tomatoes, bacon bits and chives. Add hard boiled egg and drizzle with remaining salad dressing. 


Bon appetit!

No comments: